Nội dung toàn văn Decision No. 492/QD-TTg of April 16, 2009, approving the scheme on establishment of the Mekong river delta key economic region
THE PRIME MINISTER
SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Hanoi, April 16, 2009
APPROVING THE SCHEME ON ESTABLISHMENT OF THE MEKONG RIVER DELTA KEY ECONOMIC REGION
THE PRIME MINISTER
Pursuant to the December 25, 2001 Law on Organization of the Government;
At the proposal of the Ministry of Planning and Investment in Report No. 1312/TTr-BKH of March 3, 2009, on the Scheme on establishment of the Mekong River delta key economic region,
Article 1. To approve the Scheme on establishment of the Mekong River delta key economic region with the following principal contents:
1. Scope of the Mekong River delta key economic region
The Mekong River delta key economic region encompasses 4 provinces and centrally run city, namely Can Tho city and An Giang, Kien Giang and Ca Mau provinces.
2. Orientations for development of the Mekong River delta key economic region till 2020:
a/ Position and role of the Mekong River delta key economic region in the Mekong River delta:
- The Mekong River delta key economic region will continue to be a major center for rice production and aquaculture, fishing and aquatic product processing, making great contributions to the country's agricultural and fisheries exports. Besides, it will play an important role in biotechnology transfer, varieties supply, technical services, and processing and export of agricultural products for the whole Mekong River delta.
- It will be a large energy center of the country with three electric power centers of O Mon, Ca Mau and Kien Luong. with a total output of about 9,000-9,400 MW and operated with fuel gas from southwestern gas fields.
- It will be a large service (education-training, healthcare, science-technology and trade) and tourist center of the whole country.
- It will be a bridge for regional economic integration and play an important role in national defense and security.
b/ Development viewpoints:
- To tap to the utmost the potential and advantages of each locality and the whole region on the basis of the effective and comprehensive development of delta and coastal areas as well as the sea economy in association with other localities in the Mekong River delta and cooperation with localities in other regions in the country, first of all, the southeastern region. To accelerate economic restructuring along the line of quickly reducing the proportion of agriculture while increasing the proportion of industry and services in GDP, and adjusting the labor structure.
- To proactively integrate and expand economic and trade relations with other countries in the region and the world. To mobilize all resources for investment development, creating a breakthrough in the attraction of foreign direct investment to attain a socio-economic growth rate higher than the national average and improve the quality of growth.
- To combine economic development with social development, hunger eradication and poverty alleviation and job generation to incrementally reduce the social development gap among areas and between the Kinh and other ethnic minorities, especially Khmer people.
- To associate economic development with environmental protection and sustainable development.
- To combine socio-economic development with strengthening and consolidation of national security and defense, maintenance of political security and social order and safety.
c/ Development objectives:
- General objectives:
To develop the Mekong River delta key economic region into a dynamic development area with a modern economic structure and greater and greater contributions to the national economy, playing an important role in building a rich and strong Mekong River delta with cultural and social development levels on a par with the national level, political stability and firm national security and defense.
- Specific targets:
+ To strive for the target that the average GDP growth rate of the Mekong River delta key economic region during 2009-2010 and 2011-2020 will be 1.2 and 1.25 times the national average, respectively. The region's proportion in the national GDP will increase from current 10.5% to about 11.6% by 2010 and 13.3% by 2020.
+ To restructure the economy along the line of increasing the proportion of industry and services and reducing the proportion of agriculture. The proportion of agriculture-forestry-fisheries will reach 29.4% by 2010 then decrease to 15% by 2020 while industry-construction and services will account for 28.7% and 41.9% by 2010, then 40% and 45% by 2020, respectively.
+ The per-capita GDP will reach USD 1.200 by 2010 and USD 3,000 by 2020.
+ The per-capita export value/year will increase from USD 310 in 2007 to USD 490 by 2010 and USD 1,900 by 2020.
+ The key economic region's contribution to the total budget revenues of the Mekong River delta will account for about 38% by 2010 and 65% by 2020, from the level of 37.7% in 2007.
+ To speed up technological renewal in the modernization process, striving to reach an average rate of 20%/year.
+ To raise the rate of trained laborers from 30% in 2007 to 38% by 2010 and 65% by 2020.
+ To raise the urbanization rate of the Mekong River delta key economic region from 30.2% in 2007 to 33.8% by 2010 and 46% by 2020.
3. Solutions to accelerating the development of the Mekong River delta key economic region:
a/ Creating a breakthrough in infrastructure development:
To prioritize state budget capital (including ODA capital and capital from government bonds) for investment in infrastructure development, especially transport networks connecting the Mekong River delta key economic region with the southeastern region and other regions in the country, and networks linking major urban centers in the region.
b/ Human resource development:
- To expand job training and professional secondary education, ensuring growth and a rational structure of training majors and levels and meeting demands for high-quality human resources.
- To make intensive investment in training and developing hi-tech human resources and training specialists in spearhead sectors for the region's socio-economic development.
- To associate socio-economic development plans and plannings and plannings on development of industrial parks, economic zones and economic sectors with plans on human resource training and supply. To organize job training in the following three directions: job training for young laborers newly joining the workforce, job training for those who have to change their jobs due to economic restructuring and enterprise reform: and providing advanced job-training for those who wish to catch up with scientific and technological advances.
- To create a favorable environment for more effectively using human resources and raising the quality of human resource training, creating a close linkage between training and employment as a unified process of human resource development.
c/ Solutions on mechanisms and policies:
- Investment in infrastructure development:
The State shall further increase investment from the state budget, including capital from government bonds and ODA capital, in infrastructure facilities important to the region's development such as national highway 1 A, roads N1 and N2, the road system in Phu Quoc island and airports.
To create conditions for enterprises of all economic sectors to invest in expressways, seaports, and river dredging in the form of BT or BOT.
- On budget revenues and expenditures and supports for localities in the region:
+ To increase supports for localities in the Mekong River delta key economic region (according to criteria for provinces and centrally run cities in key economic regions specified in the Prime Minister's Decision No. 210/2006/QD-TTg of September 12, 2006) to a level higher than that for localities in other key economic regions.
+ To increase supports for industrial parks, export-processing zones and border-gate economic zones in localities in the region to a level higher than the average level applicable to other regions.
+ To create favorable conditions and set orientations for localities in the Mekong River delta to attract more ODA.
+ To properly implement mechanisms and policies under the Prime Minister's Decision No. 26/2008/QD-TTg of February 5, 2008, promulgating some mechanisms and policies to support socio-economic development in provinces and cities in the Mekong River delta till 2010.
d/ Solutions for coordination among provinces, cities, ministries and branches.
- To implement the Regulation or coordination among ministries, branches localities and key economic regions under the Prime Minister's Decision No. 159/2007/QD-TTg of October 10, 2007.
- To include the Mekong River delta key economic region in the system of national key economic regions and add leaders of the People's Committees of Can Tho city and An Giang, Kien Giang and Ca Mau provinces to the Steering Committee for coordination in the development of key economic regions for administering and directing the coordination among ministries, branches and localities in performing the region's socio-economic development tasks under planning.
- To develop a mechanism on development coordination among localities in the Mekong River delta key economic region.
- To coordinate in formulating, implementing, reviewing, supplementing and examining master plans on socio-economic development of provinces and centrally run cities in the region:
+ When formulating the master plan on socioeconomic development of a province or centrally run city, it is necessary to take into consideration those of other provinces in the Region. If detecting inconsistent contents, concerned units should consult and work with one another in order to make adjustments.
+ The master plan on socio-economic development of a province or centrally run city must be sent to other localities in the region for comment before it is submitted to the Prime Minister for approval.
+ Plannings on industrial parks, urban centers and works with serious environmental impacts (solid waste and wastewater treatment centers, large cemeteries) in areas adjacent to other localities must be sent to these localities for comment before they are submitted to competent authorities for approval.
- To harmonize investment, trade and tourism promotion activities in the region.
- To coordinate in such important areas as construction of traffic and irrigation works, environmental protection, human resource training, medical examination and treatment.
- To collaborate in studying and proposing separate mechanisms and policies in conformity with current regulations and ensure consistency in the whole region.
Article 2. Organization of implementation
1. The Government Office shall propose the Prime Minister to add leaders of the People's Committees of Can Tho city and An Giang. Kien Giang and Ca Mau provinces to the Steering Committee for coordination and development of key economic regions.
2.The Ministry of Planning and Investment shall:
aJ Propose the Prime Minister to include the Mekong River delta key economic region, covering Can Tho city and An Giang, Kien Giang and Ca Mau provinces, in Clause 2, Item 9, Article 1, of the Government's Decree No. 04/2008/ND-CP of January 11, 2008. regarding special territories.
b/ Study and propose a higher support level for localities in the Mekong River delta key economic region (according to criteria for provinces and cities in key economic regions specified in the Prime
Minister's Decision No. 210/2006/QD-TTg) compared to localities in other key economic regions.
c/ Study and propose a higher support level for industrial parks, economic zones and border-gate economic zones in localities in the region compared to the average support level for other regions.
d/ Create conditions and set orientation for localities in the Region to attract more ODA.
3. Ministries and central branches shall:
a/ Review and adjust branch plannings involving the Mekong River delta key economic region in conformity with general orientations for the region's socio-economic development;
b/ Ensure adequate resources for development of all sectors in the Mekong River delta key economic region;
c/ Set up a coordination team for development of the Mekong River delta key economic region.
4. The People's Committees of Can Tho city
and An Giang. Kien Giang and Ca Mau provinces
a/Review and adjust their local socio-economic development plannings in conformity with general development orientations of the Mekong River delta key economic region.
b/ Set up local coordination teams for development of the region.
Article 3. This Decision takes effect 45 days from the date of its signing.
Article 4. Ministers, heads of ministerial-level agencies, heads of government-attached agencies, and presidents of the People's Committees of Can Tho city and An Giang, Kien Giang and Ca Mau provinces shall implement this Decision.-